Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Fizzy Lemon "Dry Ice" Ice Cream

               My friends, if you have never made ice cream in your life; you have to try it. I'm not just talking about making the base ice cream and then freezing it, or using a ice cream machine. I'm talking about freaking solid carbon dioxide. That's right, I used dry ice to make ice ream and let me tell you; it is the most childish and exciting way to make ice cream, ever. I made a hangout with my friends after a game of ultimate Frisbee and I swear when we were making that delicious ice cream we screamed like little girls. The dry ice creams a cauldron looking type of thing and it's the coolest thing ever. Maybe I'm just a huge dork, I dunno, but I had so much fun making this.

Ingredients

1. 2/3 cups of sugar
2. 3 egg yolks
3. 3/4 cups of milk
4. 3/4 cups of heavy cream
5. Lemon Zest  

Prep Time: 5 - 10 min
Cook Time: Varies 







Directions

1. Separate your egg whites and yolks. Combine your egg yolks and your sugar. Get a mixing machine to mix it up. You're looking for a light yellow, and when it has the consistency of a pudding. This will probably take 5 minutes.

2. Combine your milk, cream, and lemon zest. The lemon zest you can add as much as you want. As long as the aroma is strong enough then you'll be okay. You can choose any flavorings you want but I just thought the idea of lemon soda was pretty cool. Mix all those together in a pot and bring it to a simmer.

3. Once your liquid mixture is brought up to a simmer, combine your egg yolk mixture into the pot. Now put it on medium heat and keep stirring. We're going for a low and slow method. The main idea is to get the mixture up to at least 150 degrees Fahrenheit. That is the perfect temperature to create the best texture for this ice cream. Anything further past 150 F can lead to a eggy tasting ice cream. If you don't own a probe, always check the back of your spoon/wooden spoon. Run a line across the back of your spoon, if it doesn't close, your mixture is ready to turn into ice cream!

4. Now for the fun. If you have dry ice, just start chucking it in. Trust me. It works. Now I had to crush my dry ice into a powder form so it gets more surface area. It still works if you just throw in chunks of dry ice. Now if you don't have dry ice or an ice cream machine; putting it in the freezer and mixing it every 45 minutes works lovely too. It's just not as instant as you would get it with dry ice.

The carbonation from the dry ice creates the same type of feel when you drink soda! It's so awesome and it's so yummy. The fizziness that you get from the dry ice and the taste of the lemon zest mixed in with the ice cream; you basically get lemon soda flavored ice cream! It's amazing. Everyone needs to try making this at least once in their life time. Your friends will be impressed, and you can def. say to yourself, "I know how to make ice cream now"

Fast. Easy. Fun and Delicious 

No comments:

Post a Comment