Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Dim Sum Style Pork Buns

Errrrbody LOVES dim sum, and If you had a bad experience with it; let me take you out to show you what it's really all about. I grew up on these oven baked Cha Siu buns my whole life. My grandparents would constantly take me out in the morning when I didnt have school and we'd just sip up some tea and order a crap ton of chinese food. I grew up on these lovely buns but I'm going to make the steamed version this time because I haven't figured out how to make the baked version ones. With the left over pork meat that I had from my pork belly you can make a whole variety of stuff. This recipe is easy, even making the dough is easy. 

Ingredients
1. Left over pork meat
2. 1 cup of flour
3. 1/2 cup of milk
4. Pinch of salt
5. 4 tablespoons of hoisin
6. 4 tablespoons of chili sauce 
7. 2 tablespoons of black bean sauce

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 - 14 minutes








Directions

1. Get your cup of flour and your milk and just mix it well until it forms into a dough. Like all other doughs you need to knead that chunk of sticky dough so knead it until it's elastic enough and not sticky to form into small patches. As you're kneading the dough remember to add a bit of flour each time you knead otherwise it'll stay sticky and wet


 2. Once you've kneaded the dough, roll it out until it looks somewhat like a sausage. The diameter of the dough was around 2 inches for mine but as long as you make enough to wrap around your meat it's find. I got my left over park and I added the hoisin, chilli, and black bean sauce to give it that tangy asian flare of flavor. Get a spoonful of that pork and put it in the rolled out dough. Once you put it in, wrap around it. Don't be afraid if its not a perfect balls, that takes a bit of practice


3. Once you're done forming your balls of delicious, that didn't sound right at all. Once you've made your pork buns, get a wok or a  pot. Put in a good amount of water. You're going to be using the water to steam the buns of course. Now I had this sort of tool which allows plates and other stuff to sit on so it can steam properly. If you don't have that, get a bowl facing up and put a plate on top. It works just as good, I've tried.



4. After All that's been set up you're read to cook those buns! Bring the water to the boil and cover the top of your pot/wok. Steam for about 15 minutes. Just in case. And you're ready to eat! Serve it with some hoisin sauce on the side and some crunchy vegetables and you're good to go! It's so good and you can do this with any meat you want. It's just thinking of stuff you can make with the left overs you have.

SuperDelicious. 






No comments:

Post a Comment